Small Business Saturday the Start of Holiday 2012 Kick-off Festivities in Uphams Corner|
Saturday, November 24th, Uphams Corner Main Street, local businesses,
local residents, and volunteers gathered to celebrate Small Business
Saturday in a variety of ways.
It was, after all, the start of the holidays. And what a great
way to start the holidays than by helping to decorate local business
Around 3pm on Saturday, a total of fifteen (15) volunteers assembled at
the Main Street office. This included youth from Bird Street
Community Center who energetically and creatively decorated two Uphams
Corner small businesses:
The volunteers also helped prepare the city-provided Uphams Corner
Holiday tree in preparation for the tree lighting later that afternoon.
Notable in this effort was Georgia Titonis, Uphams Corner librarian,
who, for weeks before this event, helped youth at the library make really creative outdoor
decorations which they hung on the tree.
- PC's Express at 22 Hancock Street
- Discount Shoes Store at 773 Dudley Street
The businesses were given a challenge to honor the "Business Holiday"
that our nation informally celebrates as Small Business Saturday on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Could they decorate their storefronts in time for Small Business
Saturday? If so, they would receive Small Business
Saturday collateral and they would be entered into Boston Main Streets
“Deck the Windows” storefront decorating competition.
Holiday Tree Lighting at 5PM
Corner welcomed more than 50 residents, local businesses, elected
officials, and the Santa Claus family to witness the lighting of the Uphams Corner
holiday tree located next to the Strand Theatre. Quite a festive day to
recognize businesses, volunteerism, community service, celebrations,
the tradition of Santa Claus and an ever-growing reputation for Uphams
Uphams Corner ROCKS!
A huge thanks to so many groups and organizations:
"Merry Christmas to all and to all a Goodnight."
- American Express as lead sponsor of Small Business Saturday
- Volunteers from Bird Street Community Center
- Volunteer residents
- Boston Main Streets for organizing the Deck the Windows competition
- Support from the City of Boston
- Support from the Strand Theatre with the tree lighting
- Attendees of the tree lighting, including Representative Walsh, Councilor Baker, and Councilor Yancey and the local community
So said Santa as he and Mrs. Claus clambered back into their modernized
sleigh, pulled not by the eight tiny reindeer but by the eight
cylinders under the trolley hood.
You Are Invited to Stop By
- The Uphams Corner tree and look at the beautiful handmade decorations (pipecleaner sculpture)
- The two businesses decorated by the youth. Say hello to the business owners, Eddy and Camilo
- The Bird Street Youth Center and let them know how much you appreciate their efforts
- The Uphams Corner Main Street office. Say hello to Max and wish him well.
- The Uphams Corner library. Say hello to Georgia and say Thank You
Thanks to Max and Georgia for contributing their time to the day's
events and for help in preparing this article, photos and all.
Your comments will be posted here and in the Letters to the Editor after processing.
Posted: December 4, 2012
Nancy J Conrad