Upham's Corner Online

Upham's Corner Library - Branches Compared

Posted: March 13, 2011
Nancy J Conrad

Boston Public Library - History of Branch Building & Renovations

Summary of the construction and renovation work for each of the 26 branches within the Boston Public Library system by date, descending. 

At the bottom, in 1904, is the Upham's Corner Library, housed in a municipal building.
UC Library - Overview
UC Library - Importance
BPL Branches compared
UC Library - Close up
Other branches - photos


Year
Branch
Own
Bldg
New
Construction
Major
Renovation
2011 East Boston
(Orient Heights)

Yes
2009 Brighton
 
Yes
2009 Grove Hall

Yes
2009 Mattapan
Yes
2005 Lower Mills

Yes
2001 Honan-Allston

Yes
2000 Hyde Park


Yes
(recent) South Boston

Yes
1997
South End


Yes
1989 West Roxbury


Yes
1983
Washington Village
No


1970's
Charlestown
Codman Square
Dudley



1960's
Fields Corner
Jamaica Plain
North End
West End
Roslindale



1950's
Adams Street
Egleston



1930's
Connolly
Faneuil
Parker Hill



1904
Upham's Corner
No



Note:  Branch library square footage obtained from Paula Narenkivicius, William Raveis Real Estate.
Data validity has not been confirmed with the BPL.

All branches but two have their own buildings. 
  • Upham's Corner branch.  Situated in Municipal Building in 1902 with very few changes since then.  Website shows photo of the Municipal Building, not the library. Of the three floors in the building, the library barely uses the equivalent of one floor.

  • Washington Village.  Website shows photo of a "sign" not a building.  This is probably because Washington Village was constructed from two apartments in a South Boston housing complex in 1983.
Two branch site studies have been done
  • Jamaica Plain library expansion study 2006
  • China Town branch  - new construction 2008
Branch
Sep
Bldg
Yr
Sq FtDescription
Adams Street
  1951
7,200 The present branch library building was opened in 1951, and represented the first new neighborhood facility built in 20 years.
Brighton
  2009
17,700
(22,400)
Beginning in January 2009, the 22,400 square foot library building at 40 Academy Hill Road underwent extensive interior renovations. The City of Boston's Property and Construction Management Department managed this capital project, which had as its goals to update the mechanical equipment, provide ADA accessibility, improve sightlines, and to increase technology capacity.
Charlestown
  1970
9,016 In 1970 the Branch was moved to its current location.
Codman Square
  1978
20,039 Originally housed at 6 Norfolk Street, the branch moved to its present location in 1978. The building was designed by Eco-Texture, Inc.
Connolly
  1932
8,033 Responding to the need for larger space, a beautiful white limestone building was built and opened in 1932. Designed by Maginnis and Walsh in the Jacobean style
Dudley
  1978
21,000 The Dudley Branch Library opened its doors in its current location at 65 Warren Street, in April of 1978, replacing both the Mount Pleasant Branch and the privately endowed Fellowes Athenaeum.
East Boston
I/P *
4,752 1914 New branch currently under construction to replace existing branch.
Egleston
  1953
6,363 Opened on July 8, 1953 the building was designed by the firm of Isidor Richmond and Carney Goldberg, Architects and Engineers.
Faneuil
  1931
6,291 Built in 1931 to replace a temporary location on Brooks Street, the Faneuil Branch is one of the few buildings in Brighton designed in the Art Deco style.
Fields Corner
  1969
8,530 The Fields Corner Branch opened in 1969. It was the successor to the old Dorchester Branch which was also located in Fields Corner.
Grove Hall
  2009
9,000 On April 4, 2009 the new branch library at 41 Geneva Avenue, Dorchester opened.
Honan-Allston
  2001
20,000 On January 19, 2000 ground was broken for the Allston Branch Library.  Designed by  Machado & Silvetti Associates, Inc., an international architectural firm, the branch officially opened for business on Saturday, June 16, 2001. On March 13, 2003 the branch was renamed the Honan-Allston branch in honor of the late City Councilor Brian Honan.
Hyde Park
  2000
11,204 In 1997 ground was broken for a new addition and a renovation of the existing building.  The project, which doubled the size of the branch, was designed by Schwartz/Silver Architects.  A grand-reopening ceremony with Mayor Thomas M. Menino was held in January 2000.
Jamaica Plain
  1963
9,630 It opened on July 24, 1911. An addition was built in 1936 and the interior was remodeled in 1963.
Lower Mills
  2005
8,000 In 2005, the branch was renovated, a new façade was designed, and the heating and cooling systems were up-dated. The building in general got a “face lift” and is bright and airy.
Mattapan
  2009
7,204 On February 28, 2009 the Mattapan community celebrated the opening of an architecturally-stunning, technologically enhanced, and service-rich new Mattapan Branch at 1350 Blue Hill Avenue.
North End
  1965
7,200 Originally established at 3A North Bennett Street in 1913, the North End Branch was relocated to its present site in May 1965. The building was designed by Carl Koch and Associates and was constructed by Peabody Construction Company.
Orient Heights
Cons* 1912 3,144 A new, centrally-located East Boston branch library is the top capital priority for the Boston Public Library in 2011.
To be consolidated with new East Boston branch.
Parker Hill
  1931 7,688 The Branch first opened in a rented space at 1518 Tremont Street in July 1907. It remained in this location until May 1931 when Mayor James Michael Curley opened the new branch that was designed in 1929 by famed architect Ralph Adams Cram.  Cram appeared on the cover of Time Magazine in 1926 and was heralded as Boston's foremost architect.
Roslindale
  1961
13,600 In 1961, a semi-circular building with huge glass windows, topped with a low blue dome, was designed by Isidor Richmond and Carny Goldberg. Built on the fire house's thick foundation, the architects had to surmount the problems of a pentagonal-shaped lot and an underground brook.
South Boston
  ??
10,332 Construction of the present building was underway which consolidated the City Point Branch with the South Boston Branch.  (appears to be complete)
South End
  1997
9,002 In the late 1990s, the South End branch was the subject of a major capital improvement project. An elevator was installed to make the second floor community room accessible to all. The carpet was replaced, roof fixed, new bathrooms and closet areas created, and the whole library painted.
Upham's Corner
NO
4,428 1904 In 1904 the Uphams Corner Branch Library moved from a temporary store-front location on Dudley Street to the two-year-old municipal building on Columbia Road.
Washington Village
NO 3,198 1983 A task force of Old Colony residents applied for a federal grant that enabled the Housing Authority to remodel two apartments into a small library facility. The Branch was reopened in 1983.
West End
  1968
10,600 The West End Redevelopment Project necessitated closing the Branch in 1960. As part of the project a new building designed by Maginnis, Walsh and Kennedy opened in January 1968.
West Roxbury
  1989
24,000 On September 24, 1989 the new addition was opened to the public with community rooms, a gallery and a reading garden.

I/P* - New East Boston branch under construction
Cons* - Orient Heights to be consolidated with the East Boston branch

| Copyright © 2010-2014 Uphams Corner News - All Rights Reserved |