The 2013 Dorchester Day Parade Committee Essay Contest is open to students grades 6-8 living in Dorchester or attending a Dorchester school. Local judges will select the winners and award two prizes but all entrants will receive a certificate of participation. Thanks to the Dorchester Reporter for sponsoring the event. The entry and essay must be postmarked by May 20, 2013 to be considered for a prize. Good Luck.
Download essay application here.
Student Essay Contest Now Open
The Dorchester Day Parade Committee is hosting an essay contest. It is open to all children:
Two (2) prizes will be awarded to the winning essays that are chosen from a panel of local judges. All students that enter the contest will receive an award certificate. The entry and essay must be postmarked by May 20, 2013 to be considered for a prize. Good Luck.
- Who live in Dorchester, grades 6-8
- Who attend a Dorchester school, grades 6-8
The rules are as follows:
- The student must be a Dorchester resident or attend a Dorchester school.
- In honor of the 50th continuous year of the Dorchester Day Parade, your essay must be written about an invention that was created within the last 50 years. You can pick anything created between 1963-2013. Describe the invention, the reason why it is important, and why you chose this particular one.
- The essay must be between 500-600 words.
- Only one essay accepted per student.
- The essay can be typed and double spaced.
- The essay and entry form must be postmarked by May 20, 2013.
- Sorry, no e-mailed submissions will be accepted. They must be mailed.
1st Place - (1) $300.00 Gift Card
2nd Place - (1) $200.00 Gift Card
Every entrant will receive an award certificate
The (2) prizes will be awarded at the Dorchester Day Chief Marshal's Dinner held at Florian Hall in Dorchester on May 31, 2013. The winners are required to attend the dinner and will be asked to read their essays. The winners will also be invited to take part in the 2013 Dorchester Day Parade.
Committee Chair: Ed Geary Jr.
Telephone: (617) 265-5376
You can download a flyer with entry form from the website: www.dotdayparade.com
Thank you to The Dorchester Reporter for sponsoring this event
|Posted: April 21, 2013 Nancy J Conrad
Your comments will be posted here and in the Letters to the Editor after processing.