City of Boston Leaf and Yard Waste Program Expands to Include Summer Months
The City of Boston's Department of Public Works recently announced an expansion of their Leaf and Yard Waste Collection Program. As of April 22, 2014, the City's program now includes a once-a-month pickup during the summer months of June, July, August and September.
|DPW Yard Waste Collection Program
|Spring Collection||Four (4) weeks|
April 28 to May 23
During the weeks of
||Seven (7) Weeks
October 13 to November 28.
While such gate knockers are commonly seen in early spring and early fall, what were they doing on the fences at this time of the year?
Boston has gotten into the groove of supporting natural recycling - leaf and yard waste that a resident would ordinarily be putting out for the weekly trash haul during the summer.
So odd - that the City of Boston provided natural waste recycling services for residents cleaning up in the spring after the winter and in the fall after the leaves had descend but NOT during the summer. Plenty of yard waste is generated in the summer from mowing the lawn, clipping the hedges and trimming bushes.
A BIG thanks goes out to the City's Dept of Public Works (DPW) for adding summer collection of leaf and yard waste to its spring and fall yard waste collection program. DPW will collect residents’ yard waste curbside and it will be composted.
More about Leaf and Yard Waste Collection
If you don't have time to compost your leaves or yard debris, Boston Public Works Department will. We will collect your leaves and yard waste on your recycling day and use it as natural fertilizer for Boston's community gardens.
- Place leaves, and yard debris in large paper leaf bags or open barrels labeled "yard waste" (no plastic bags).
- Yard Waste stickers for barrels are available by calling 617-635-4500 or placing an online service request (up to 2 stickers available per household).
- Tie branches with string, 3' maximum length. Do not put branches in barrels.
- Put barrels, bags and branches on the curb by 7:00 AM on your Recycling Day, between the collection dates listed below.
- Yard waste will not be collected with trash during this period.
- Yard waste in plastic bags will also not be collected.
- Place your yard waste, prepared per the instructions above, on the curb by 7am on your recycling day, throughout the dates indicated below.
Click here to Add Comment - Your comments will be posted here and in the Letters to the Editor after processing.
Posted: June 2, 2014 Nancy J Conrad