The Boston NAACP is hosting an event on Friday, November 29, 2013 entitled Chapter & Verse, a night of live performances (bands) and spoken word with some exposure for our local authors.
Many of you write and some of you are published, so we would love to
have you come through. This is not an invitation to have you work
that night...just come and enjoy!
||Fri, Nov 29, 2013
||Live Music and Spoken Word
||Red Fez Restaurant
1222 Washington St, Boston
||Proper dress required
||$15 at the door, $10 in advance
||Eventbrite (see info below)
Background and Precedent for Chapter and Verse
Between 1999 and 2008, "Afrocentrics" was one of the hottest live
entertainment venues on the east coast. The goal was to mimic
well known clubs:
- Nuyoricans Poets Cafe in New York
- Natalie's from the show New York Undercover and the movie Love Jones.
Great Artists in Appearance
Many great artists were showcased as part of the Afrocentrics entertainment venue including:
was responsible for launching the careers of singers, poets, writers
and comedians. Notably, even Michael Holley, formerly of the
Globe, was a regular and one of the baddest poets in Boston.
- The Last Poets
- Saul Williams
- Tish Benson and Sarah Jones
- Amiri Baraka
- The artists from the CD "eargasms"
- The Appollo's Jessica Care Moore
- Mums the Schemer (from the t.v. show Oz)
- Grammy nominated Ryan Leslie "The Black Mozart" was a regular performer while a student at Harvard University
- Comedians like Mike Yard, Brooklyn Mike and so many others
Prepared to get Your Intellectual Groove On!" Join Boston's NAACP
at the Red Fez and make it a great happening.
|Posted: November 25, 2013 Nancy J Conrad
Your comments will be posted here and in the Letters to the Editor after processing.